So it's friday and the end of a great work week...I mean c'mon, I didn't do any work at all!! What could be better? So we're still down here in the OBX, unfortunately today it's raining. It all started last night around 11pm...when Jim and I were playing Guitar Hero-(our new favorite game).
So we got up this morning around 6ish...to do some more "fishing" - which truth be told, all we do is sit on the beach, bate our hooks...cast the line into the ocean...and usually within 10-15 mins reel them in and start the whole process again. NO FISH!! Oh well, it is still really fun to just hang out with the guys, and catch up. Although this morning had it's differences, some good-some not so good. First the good, we saw Dolphins!! They were pretty close considering, and my sister in law said, "why didn't you swim out and get a ride?" The answer is quite simple, REALLY COLD WATER!!! The not so nice part, was that it started to rain again, when I got out there...and so within moments, I was soaked...and with the wind it was rather cold...so I think that I only made it about 45 mins.
So I came back to the house...and crawled back into bed...and tried to warm up...two showers later-finally warm! Then the rain stopped, and it turned out to be a rather nice day! I went to the store, and exchanged three shirts I bought the day before, because they were a little too small....and then off to the grocery store. Why you ask? Well each night "a family" has been in charge of dinner. The first night we just got pizza, then Monday night mom and pop made Lasagna!! Tuesday night was Taco night with Meghan and Joe....Wednesday night was seafood from Laura and Jim...and last night we went out to applebee's. So tonight was my night.
Let me start by saying, this should have been a simple process...but as it turned out, it was a little more emotional than I thought it would be....as many things this past year have turned out. I went to the grocery store, to pick up my supplies...and I was by myself. I was thinking the entire time at the store, how much I hate being the "odd man out" in the family. Nevertheless, I got my supplies and headed home. My aunt Sally and Uncle Lee had come to the beach house today to spend the day with us. They live in VA Beach, so it was nice to see them again. Anyway, the whole family was playing the Wii...and I got back to the house around 3pm. I was standing at the sink...and trying to get a game plan together. The plan was to make the following: hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, shrimp, garlic potatoes on the grill and bar-b-que chicken, and potato salad, and macaroni salad. Tall task, I know..but I wanted it to be great! One to prove to myself that I could do it, and two....because I love to cook. And three, (a little bit) because I felt like I needed to show that even though it's just me...I can still do great things.
As I was standing at the sink...I asked my mom to come over because I couldn't find the aluminum foil. Mom said that we didn't have any...and I started to come apart. I could feel the tears welling up...and as much as I tried to fight them back...I couldn't really. Mom asked what was wrong...and I told her, that I really hate being by myself sometimes..and that I was feeling overwhelmed. My mom understands, and reassured me that I'll be alright...and deep down I know she's right, but sometimes, knowing that...isn't really helpful. I need to hear it sometimes. So she sent Pop to the store for aluminum foil, while I continued to cook. Luckily MJ to the rescue...sent me a text at the very minute I was thinking about texting her...and I just told her what was going on...and she reassured me exactly what my mom told me. :)
So I sliced potatoes, shucked the corn on the cob...prepared the chicken with a rub and bar-b-que sauce...and then started working on the hamburgers. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do everything by myself. So I turned to someone who has been there for me in SO MANY ways ever since I graduated college. Brother Jim. I asked him if he would help me with the grilling...so that dinner would be ready in time. Of course he said that he would help me...so I asked mom to take care of boiling the corn...while Jim and I did the grilling.
So Jim took the burgers, and hot dogs...while I handled the chicken. It was actually really nice...we just chatted, and he explained some things to me that I didn't know how to do...and I got the chance to tell him about my life...and the new things that have been happening and the people in my life that I have met recently and have been hanging out with. an
d yes, told him about MJ!! - He was rather happy for me...and said that it was good to know I am happy.
Anyway, dinner turned out great!! I got many compliments on my cooking and selections...so that made me very happy. Aunt Sally and Uncle Lee were able to stay for dinner...so we had quite a full house.
Anyway...only a few more days...and then back to VA....can't wait to get home! See you all very soon!
0 comments:
Post a Comment